Oculus Rift Now Requires Windows 10 For New Features

Windows 10 for Oculus rift

Windows 10 will soon be replaced with Windows 10 S. But still, it is the most popular OS among PC users and VR headset owners.

Read more Augmented Reality and Lifestyle – Technology That Will Blow Your Mind

In a recent announcement, Oculus has raised the minimum and recommended spec for Rift devices to Windows 10.

Although according to the announcement, users of older Windows OS versions “may not be able to use many new and upcoming features and apps,” Oculus reassured Windows 8.1 and 7 users that they could continue to run all currently available VR content on these old systems.

The reason behind this change is Oculus’ upcoming general release of Rift Core 2.0 system software, which relies on Windows 10 for features such as Desktop mirror monitors, Dash multitasking, and a redesigned Home experience. Windows 10 users will enjoy all of the features, but Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users won’t get either Desktop access or the ability to use Dash as an overlay. Furthermore, they won’t be able to use any third-party Rift apps that require Windows 10.

In the “Why Now?” part of the blogpost, Oculus noted that Microsoft no longer provides mainstream support for Windows 7 and 8.1, and that it will be able to meet “performance standards” necessary to implement its newest software upgrades through Windows 10 only.

Read more Microsoft Will Reportedly Unveil HoloLens 2 This Year

Windows 10 for Oculus rift

The Rift’s minimum specs require Windows 10 with the following hardware:

Recommended Specifications:

  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater
  • Alternative Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
  • CPU: Intel i5-4590 / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater
  • Memory: 8GB+ RAM
  • Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • USB Ports: 3x USB 3.0 ports plus 1x USB 2.0 port
  • OS: Windows 10 operating system

Minimum Specifications:

  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater
  • Alternative Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 960 / AMD Radeon R9 290 or greater
  • CPU: Intel i3-6100 / AMD Ryzen 3 1200, FX4350 or greater
  • Memory: 8GB+ RAM
  • Video Output: Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
  • USB Ports: 1x USB 3.0 port, plus 2x USB 2.0 ports
  • OS: Windows 10 operating system

Takeaway

The good news is that only a small percentage of players will be affected by today’s announcement. According to Oculus, 95% or active Rift owners are already using Windows 10. However, for the remaining 5% using either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, the company’s advice is, “Upgrade now to avoid missing out on what’s next.”