Acer, the Taiwanese multinational hardware and electronics corporation, has announced its new Acer Windows Mixed Reality headset, the Acer OJO 500 at the IFA 2018 in Berlin. The headset’s one-of-a-kind detachable design offers superb comfort, flexibility and hygiene for the users.
“The Acer OJO 500 brings several significant new features to this class of Windows Mixed Reality headsets,” said Andrew Chuang, General Manager, Presence Computing, IT Products Business, Acer Inc. “We’ve improved the user experience with innovative visual and audio technologies and made the headset more comfortable and easier than ever to use.”
- The headset can be easily cleaned or stored. Its unique design enables the lens and head strap to be individually removed. This is also helpful for businesses who want to give their customers a clean headset for each use.
- OJO 500 is available with either a hard or soft head strap, both providing close-fitting yet comfortable fit. The padding is like a comfortable pillow all around your head. In case, you have to answer a phone call or talk with people around you, the mask can be flipped up, so you won’t have to remove the entire headset.
- What’s your interpupillary distance (IPD)? Never heard of it? Well, it’s the space between your pupil and the display, and you can find out what your IPD is with the help of the Android app. A built-in interpupillary distance (IPD) wheel and a patented smartphone app measures IPD distance delivering maximum clarity to your eyes. You can modify the distance for sharper and clearer images with the help of software-assisted IPD measurement app, Acer IPD Meter, and the Acer IPD Indicator software.
- There are 2 front-hinged 2.89-inch high-res LCDs that provide you with a wide 100-degree field of view and 2880×1440 resolution. A fast refresh rate of up to 90Hz delivers clear and realistic images for an immersive mixed reality experience.
- As for the sound quality, the integrated audio system, a first for VR, uses a patented sound pipe design that directs sound from the built-in speakers toward the user’s ears. This unique design lets you hear audio without wearing earplugs, enabling you to remain aware of your surroundings while enjoying an immersive experience. This is ideal for use in public spaces where it’s not safe to be completely cut off from your surroundings.
Easy Set Up
Setup is quick and easy taking about 10 minutes. The headset comes with a 4-meter (13 feet) cable allowing a wide range of movement, and connects to a PC via HDMI 2.0, while a USB 3.0 connector downloads data.
Availability and Pricing
The Acer OJO 500 will be available in North America in November, starting at $399; and in EMEA in November, starting at €499.
headquartered in Xizhi, New Taipei City, Taiwan, Acer was founded in 1976. Today it is one of the world’s top ICT companies and has a presence in over 160 countries. The company has over 7,000 employees who are dedicated to the research, design, marketing and sales of products and services ranging from Computers, Computer accessories, Internet of Things (IoT) to gaming and Virtual Reality.