VSP Global, the largest vision healthcare company in the world, with over 88 million members, has developed Level™ smart glasses, featuring activity-tracking technology seamlessly embedded inside the temple of an optical frame.
The smart glasses are technologically advanced yet very stylish and fun to wear. Level captures the information like step count, calories burned, and distance traveled.
In 2014, VSP’s innovation team started working on a project called Genesis, which was aimed at developing a frame that seamlessly integrates activity tracking technology into eyewear. Through a partnership with the University of Southern California Center for Body Computing and rapid prototyping, the company developed its proprietary Level technology, frame designs, and smartphone app that syncs with the its Eyes of Hope® charitable giving program.
Marchon, one of the biggest eyewear manufacturers in the world, is owned by VSP Global. The company designs the Level glasses in the same factories using the same detail and exquisite materials as the company’s Italian-made glasses.
One of the arms of the frame houses accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer, Bluetooth and the battery. The other arm is free of any technology, but is weighted to evenly balance the frame. The glasses do not have built-in GPS or heart rate monitor, but it can track your steps, distance traveled, calories burned and overall active minutes.
The companion app can send you push notifications to encourage you to walk more to reach your step goals and earn more points, reports Gear Patrol.
A pair costs $270 without prescription lenses.
The glasses are only available in select cities for now: Sacramento, DC, Denver, Seattle, Portland, LA and Minneapolis. However, the company is preparing to expand availability in the near future.
- All of the technology in these smart glasses are hidden in the temple.
- Level smart glasses sync wirelessly with the mobile app, allowing you to see your activity in real time.
- If at any time you misplace your smart glasses, you can use the paired app on your mobile to find them.
- Because Level glasses are centered on your body’s axis, the company has designed a step count model that accurately tracks purposeful steps and eliminates non-step movements.
- It’s water-resistant and charges via micro-USB.
- It takes only 30 minutes to fully charge the glasses and a charge lasts for about 5 days.