While skiing, perspiration can make you feel uncomfortable and even affect your performance. Now, Swiss sports apparel brand KJUS has decided to solve the problem; they developed the world’s first ski jacket with an electronic, user-controlled membrane that removes sweat. Hydro_Bot, a new revolutionizing technology for moisture management integrated by KJUS into a ski jacket, actively pumps out sweat from inside the jacket to keep skiers dry, warm, and performing at their best.
Using a process called electro-osmosis, KJUS’s 7SPHERE HYDRO_BOT ski jacket actively pulls sweat away from the inner garments and out of the jacket. This overcomes the issue of sweat becoming trapped inside a skier’s clothing system, and the dreaded post activity chill that results from having saturated inner garments. The technology not only makes a skier feel comfortable, it also boosts performance, by ensuring the skier spends minimal energy on thermoregulation and maximum energy on their ski performance.
Related This Wearable Airbag Can Protect Olympic Skiers in High-Speed Crashes
Ultra-simple to use, the jacket can we switched on and off with the integrated control unit or via Bluetooth from the iPhone & Android compatible app.
The HYDRO_BOT technology is incorporated into the jacket via two panels strategically located on the high-sweat zone of the back. The technology consists of 3 functional layers; a membrane made up of trillions of pores per m2, surrounded by conductive fabric. When a small electrical pulse is applied, the pores turn into micro-pumps, actively pumping sweat away from the body and out of the jacket quickly and efficiently. Ultra-simple to use, the jacket can we switched on and off with the integrated control unit or via Bluetooth from the iPhone & Android compatible app.
Developed and patented by Swiss technology company, Osmotex, HYDRO_BOT is a game-changer for the industry and the first significant innovation since membranes were introduced 40 years ago. “HYDRO_BOT solves one of the biggest challenges in the ski & sportswear sector – breathability, and the issues that arise when a skier builds up a sweat in sub-zero temperatures, while wearing warm, waterproof clothing,” says Joacim Holter, Managing Director and Chairman, Osmotex.
Related Wearable Sensors to Improve your Skiing Skills
The 7SPHERE HYDRO_BOT Jacket will initially be available for men only and retails for CHF 1599 (£ 1299 / € 1399 / $ 1699). It will be available for purchase on www.kjus.com and through KJUS stores and select retailers from December 10th. It can be reserved online from November 22nd.
The 7SPHERE HYDRO_BOT at a glance
- User-controlled: on-demand moisture management at the touch of a button.
- Smart Sweat Management: Actively sweats out moisture keeping you warm and dry from the first run of the day to the last.
- Revolutionary: The only jacket to be able to match human sweat rates in terms of breathability.
- Moisture Transport: The panels actively pump out moisture from inside the jacket when an electrical pulse is applied.
- Body-Zoned: HYDRO_BOT panels are strategically located on the high sweat zone of the back.
- Beat the Chill: Prevents your inner garments from being soaked with sweat and the post-activity chill that results.
- Super-Efficient: Up to 10 x more efficient at reducing moisture inside your jacket than traditional membranes.
- Weather Independent: Unlike traditional membranes HYDRO_BOT gives you high performance even in sub-zero temperatures.
- Performance Boosting: With less energy spent on thermoregulation you can spend more energy on your ski performance.
- Sweat Monitoring: By measuring the amount of sweat passing through the panels the app is also able to make practical recommendations on how to regulate body temperature.