MediaTek unveiled its groundbreaking 5G chipset, a multi-mode, 7nm 5G system-on-chip (SoC) designed to power the first wave of high-end 5G smartphones at the COMPUTEX. The multi-mode 5G chipset, with MediaTek Helio M70 modem built-in, boasts 7nm process and newest CPU, GPU and APU technology for a big performance boost and super-fast connectivity. It includes Arm’s newest Cortex-A77 CPU, Mali-G77 GPU and MediaTek’s most advanced AI processing unit (APU) to meet the power and performance demands of 5G to deliver super-fast connectivity and extreme user experiences.
The new chipset is designed for 5G stand alone and non-standalone (SA/NSA) sub-6GHz networks. It supports connectivity from 2G to 4G to bridge existing network access while 5G networks roll out globally, said MediaTek in a press release.
“Everything about this chip is designed for the first wave of flagship 5G devices. The leading-edge technology in this chipset makes it the most powerful 5G SoC announced to date and puts MediaTek at the forefront of 5G SoC design,” said MediaTek President Joe Chen. “MediaTek will power rollouts of 5G premium level devices.”
Lead customers will be able to sample the new chipset in Q3 of 2019 and it’ll be commercially ready by Q1 of 2020. The company will disclose full specifications of the chipset in the coming months.
MediaTek 5G SoC features include:
- Helio M70 5G modem: MediaTek designed Helio M70 5G modem integrated into the SoC.
- 4.7 Gbps download speeds and 2.5 Gbps upload speeds
- Intelligent power savings and comprehensive power management
- Multi-mode support – 2G, 3G, 4G, 5G – and dynamic power sharing for the best connectivity
- New AI architecture: Sports an all new AI processing unit. Supports more advanced AI applications, including for imaging like de-blur so users get great shots even when subjects are moving fast.
- Latest CPU technology: MediaTek’s 5G SoC is a performance powerhouse with the just announced new Arm Cortex-A77 CPU.
- State-of-the-art GPU: A robust new Arm Mali-G77 GPU that enables seamless extreme streaming and gaming experiences at 5G speeds.
- Innovative 7nm FinFET: World’s first 5G SoC built on the cutting-edge 7nm production process for big energy savings in a compact package.
- Speedy throughput: A peak throughput of 4.7Gps download (sub-6GHz) and New Radio (NR) 2 Component Carrier (CC) support. Supports both non-standalone (NSA) and standalone (SA) 5G network architectures.
- Powerful Multimedia & Imaging performance: Supports 4K video encode/decode at 60fps and super high-resolution camera (80MP).
“The industry, OEMs and consumers have high expectations for 5G. We are confident devices powered by MediaTek’s 5G chipset, with its impressive architecture, leading imaging features, powerful AI and ultra-fast 5G speeds, will deliver incredible experiences,” said Chen.
WT | Wearable Technologies Conference in San Francisco on July 9-10
The most innovative wearables event will be back on July 9-10 in beautiful San Francisco at SEMICON West to celebrate the 34th edition of the WT | Wearable Technologies Conference Series. Topics include data analytics in professional sports, prevention, treatment and rehabilitation with wearables, the future of digital health, medication and adherence, smart patches, workflow optimization and workforce safety and much more – featuring international leaders and experts of the wearables industry´s biggest names including Abbott, Autodesk, Datwyler, Kopin, Maxim Integrated, Multek, NFLPA, Omron, SharkDreams, Qualcomm, and many more. Register now to be part of #WTUS19