Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) technology has revolutionized diabetes care because of the real-time feedback it provides about therapeutic interventions and variations in lifestyle or dietary intake. For diabetics, CGMs drastically reduce the number of annoying and painful finger pricks needed to monitor blood glucose.
Up until now, CGMs have been primarily used by people diagnosed with type I or II diabetes, as they require constant monitoring.
Dexcom G6 Pro, which received FDA-clearance last year, is the first and only single use, professional CGM that gathers real-time glucose data over a 10-day period and offers both a blinded and unblinded mode. In blinded mode, real-time glucose data is hidden from the patient and reviewed retrospectively with their healthcare professional at the end of the session. In unblinded mode, patients can see their glucose data throughout the 10-day sensor wear to gain insights and make treatment decisions in real time, reports Dexcom.
The blinded mode may be appropriate for some potential users without diabetes who may be more technologically hesitant.
Regardless of mode, glucose data gathered by the Dexcom G6 Pro enables providers to adjust a patient’s diabetes therapy plan with precision and customization. Providers can also use the data to help patients modify their daily behavior after seeing the effects that variables such as food, exercise, stress and medication have on glucose levels.
Dexcom G6 Pro features and benefits
- Easy sensor applicator – Allows for one-touch, simple insertion
- Single-use, disposable sensor – Simplifies session start and end for both patients and providers
- Auto-start transmitter – Expedites startup time to get patients on CGM quickly and easily
- Blinded or unblinded mode –
- Blinded: patients wear a sensor for 10 days, then return to their physician’s office to review the data retrospectively (indicated for assessing glycemic variability in persons age two years and up)
- Unblinded: patients can view glucose data in real-time on a simplified mobile app* throughout the 10-day sensor wear (indicated for management of diabetes, in persons age two years and up)
- Continuous glucose readings – Reads glucose values automatically every five minutes
- Alerts and alarms – Warn user of dangerous high and low glucose levels (unblinded mode only)
- Fingerstick elimination – No fingersticks needed for calibration or diabetes treatment decisions†
- Dexcom CLARITY – Allows providers to pull interactive reports and review glucose patterns, trends and statistics retrospectively with their patients
“At Dexcom, we are continuing to drive innovation in wearable health technology,” said Kevin Sayer, president, CEO and chairman of Dexcom. “Using the power of Dexcom G6 Pro, clinicians can use the insights gained from a 10-day professional CGM session to adjust treatment plans and empower their patients to live healthier lives.”