Wearables are slowly becoming a part of our lives. They are fashionable, trendy and they can track all sorts of health metrics like heart rate, blood pressure, sleep, and even stress. With the COVID-19 pandemic, masks have become a new entry into the wearables category. They have become an essential part of our lives outside our own four walls.
Now, AirPop, an air wearables company has launched a smart mask that tracks our breath, air quality, and the filter’s effectiveness. Dubbed Active+ Halo, the smart mask with Halo sensor was created to offer wearers a better understanding of their respiratory health. The data is sent back to the companion app.
“It’s an additional dimension to understanding what is healthy,” said AirPop’s founder Chris Hosmer. “Breathing is actually a really vital part of not only physical health but our psychological or emotional health, too.”
AirPop masks are designed to protect against pathogens (like the coronavirus), as well as unhealthy air. Airpop produces far less mask waste. The filters also provide proven protection against bacteria and fine dust in the air, reports TechBook.
- A washable, fairly sturdy fabric mesh as a coat
- Four filters to insert into the mask (each of which can be worn for 40 hours)
- A smart sensor (halo) in the mask jacket that interacts with the smartphone app:
– for measuring the respiratory rate
– to display the filter service life
– to display the particulate matter pollution in your city
– and thus the display of the pollutant particles filtered out
- KN95 certification and can therefore be used in Germany just like FFP2 masks
At around $182 (150 Euros), the AirPop Active+ Halo may sound a bit pricey, but you may become satisfied with what it offers.
Users get a wearing period of 160 hours (40 hours per filter). Additional filters can be purchased in a pack of 4 for 25 euros.
Compared to FFP2 masks, which should be changed after a day, at least the filter prices do not come off badly. Assuming that you get 30 FFP2 masks for 25 euros and wear them for 4 hours each, you get 120 hours of wearing time compared to the 160 hours for the Airpop filters.