For an avid athlete, it’s important to have reliable data in order to improve performance. There are numerous wearable devices in the market that offer heart rate, speed, distance, stride length, cadence, calories burned, etc. Here are 5 wearables that provide accurate heart rate.
Garmin’s HRM-Run heart rate monitor provides the most advanced running metrics to high-end Garmin Forerunner running watches. The strap is seamlessly comfortable and easily adjustable while the module is small, lightweight and fits entirely within the width strap. The Garmin HRM-Run comes with impressively long battery life: It lasts for an entire year, assuming you run for an hour per day, once a day.
HRM-Run provides 6 running dynamics metrics:
- Cadence — number of steps per minute
- Vertical oscillation — degree of ‘bounce’ in your running motion; displays the vertical motion of your torso, measured in centimeters for each step
- Ground contact time — the amount of time in each step that you spend on the ground while running; measured in milliseconds
- Ground contact time balance — displays the left/right balance of your ground contact time while running (displays a percentage); for example, 53.2 with an arrow pointing left or right
- Stride length — length of your stride from 1 footfall to the next; measured in meters
- Vertical ratio — ratio of vertical oscillation to stride length (displays a percentage); a lower number typically indicates better running form
- This real-time data can help athletes take their performance to the next level by showing them where they can improve their running form.
Apple Watch Series 6
While precise data delivered by chest and arm straps are usually preferred by avid athletes, the Apple Watch offers countless additional features that anyone can appreciate. With the Apple Watch 6, you can measure your blood oxygen level and take an ECG anytime, anywhere. Apple Watch Series 6 is capable of generating an ECG similar to a single-lead electrocardiogram. It’s a momentous achievement for a wearable device that can provide critical data for doctors and peace of mind for you.
Whoop Strap 3.0
WHOOP is a wrist-worn wearable device that is designed to improve training, sleep, and lifestyle choices with real-time feedback on the body. The WHOOP Strap 3.0 collects physiological data 24/7 to provide the most accurate and granular understanding of your body. It’s lightweight, waterproof, and features the new and improved 5-day battery life and BLE connect. A monthly subscription is required to use this wearable. The WHOOP membership includes free hardware (WHOOP Strap 3.0) and a coaching platform designed to optimize behavior. Studies show that after a year on WHOOP, members experience longer and more consistent sleep, improved physiology, enhanced physical performance, and meaningful lifestyle changes.
Fitbit Charge 4
Fitbit Charge 4 is the company’s most advanced health and fitness tracker. Fitbit’s latest innovation Active Zone Minutes is a new personalized standard based on your resting heart rate and age that tracks any workout that gets your heart pumping, from indoor biking to yoga, measuring the time you spend in each heart rate zone toward a weekly goal of 150 minutes. SpO2 sensor allows you to see an estimate of the oxygen level variability in your bloodstream, which may indicate variations in your breathing during sleep. Charge 4 comes standard with the health and fitness essentials like SmartTrack® automatic exercise tracking, Cardio Fitness Level and Score, floors climbed, Reminders to Move every hour, female health-tracking, food, water, and weight logging, and more.
Polar Verity Sense Strap
This optical heart rate sensor follows on from the existing Polar OH1, and adds new features and capabilities. The ultralight (17g) and compact sensor is the perfect alternative to any chest strap and wrist devices. However, the real advantage of this strap is its ability to be worn in numerous places. You can wear it on your arm and even wrap the device around your leg. According to Polar, the sensor can be clipped to swim goggles as well. You can wear it on your clothing as well.