Supersapiens has announced a new wearable device specifically designed for athletes. Dubbed the Energy Band, the wearable, in conjunction with Abbott’s Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor, can display your glucose data in real-time on your wrist or to a bike’s handlebar as you exercise without the need to go through a smartphone.
“Supersapiens is dedicated to empowering athletes to maximize their training and increase performance gains1 with well-fueled workouts. Real-time glucose visibility, available at a glance, is an industry-first for sports performance,” says Supersapiens Founder and CEO Phil Southerland. “This is one more step forward to fully integrating the Supersapiens energy management system in all athletes’ training — to help them effectively manage fueling to sustain high-intensity work and go faster longer.”
The Supersapiens Energy Band’s features and benefits include:
- Real-time visibility – Supersapiens’ unique and simple-to-use interface displays current glucose values along with a trend arrow. Simply by tapping on the side, athletes can see different stats, including daily glucose exposure and tracking against their daily goal.
- Direct Bridge – The Supersapiens Energy Band connects directly to Abbott’s biosensor, giving athletes the convenience of wearable access to their real-time glucose data. The Supersapiens Energy Band is the only wearable device on the market capable of directly connecting to Abbott’s biosensor. Other compatible devices such as Garmin require a user’s phones to act as a data bridge, according to Globe Newswire.
- Workout-proof – Designed to handle a rainstorm, swim, or sweaty workout, the Supersapiens Energy Band is water-resistant up to 50 meters (5ATM).
- Easy to read – the Supersapiens Energy Band’s 8 color memory in pixel LCD display with backlight module allows for several display options, including an always on display, allowing for easy reading at night or in bright sunlight.
- Speedy charging – no more waiting around to recharge the battery. The Supersapiens Energy Band fully recharges in about 3 hours and runs off a lithium ion battery.
- Small but mighty – the sleek design fits comfortably on the athlete’s wrist and securely straps to the handlebars with its sweat-resistant fluoroelastomer band.
“Since the beginning, we knew that we needed a hardware device that bridged directly to the biosensor. The Supersapiens Energy Band has been a labor of love, and I couldn’t be prouder of our team for bringing this product to life,” says Supersapiens co-founder and president Todd Furneaux. “Providing an athlete with visibility to their glucose levels can help them understand the efficacy of their nutrition choices, fuel appropriately, avoid fatigue from low glucose events, and know when to replenish during training and competition. This translates into more fueled training minutes, which provides bigger performance gains.”
A partnership with global healthcare leader Abbott makes Supersapiens the only energy management system that directly integrates with a Bluetooth-enabled sports CGM (continuous glucose monitor) — the Abbott Libre Sense Glucose Sport Biosensor. The Supersapiens Energy Band represents the latest breakthrough from Supersapiens on its mission to provide athletes with truly meaningful and actionable glucose data through real-time glucose levels transmitted directly to their phone, the Supersapiens Energy Band, and select Garmin bike computers and smartwatches. Supersapiens set of data interpretation tools leads the future of fueling, energy management, and sports performance.
The Supersapiens Energy Band is available for sale on the company’s website for €159.
The Supersapiens system, powered by Abbott’s Libre Sense, including the Supersapiens Energy Band is now available in Austria, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Supersapiens is a US-based sports performance company focused on energy management systems that empower athletes to effectively manage in-training fueling to sustain high intensity work, properly manage glucose levels to maximize recovery, and achieve bigger performance gains.